08 June 2007

Your weekend cultural assignment.


Because I'm going to be working all weekend, the bad news is I cannot make it to CLAMPART to see John Arsenault's self portraits. The good news, however, is that they'll be up until the 23rd of this month. I was really looking forward to it this weekend, though. His stuff looks amazing.

I don't know a lot about photography. My vocabulary is limited to: medium format, lomography, color saturation, aperture, shutter speed and cross processing. But all the photography I love seems to fall within one of those words or phrases. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe it's selective learning. All I know is that these previews online look incredible, and I won't be missing this one before it leaves CLAMPART. Here's what the gallery's web site had to say about his self portraits:

Since first picking up a camera, John Arsenault has routinely been turning his lens back upon himself, producing an outlandish and absurd, wild and erotic account of his life as a young, gay artist. Exploring facets of his personal relationships, his sexuality, and his identity, Arsenault constructs varies (sic) scenarios that not only tell the story of his experiences, but also comment upon society at large. With a great eye for the strange, the unexpected, and the laugh-out-loud ridiculous, he is not afraid to poke fun at himself, and thus, is able to comment upon matters of broad cultural import without seeming shrill or pedantic. Arsenault's work is vulnerable and honest. As writer Dan Halm has concluded, "One can learn a lot about oneself through another's eyes."

see? It sounds wonderful! And because I couldn't just choose one of his photos to put in this entry, have another.


Someone take a field trip to Chelsea and tell me how truly great it is. yes?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...