17 July 2007

Remix Insanity


Remixes are going crazy lately. I know that musicians and DJs have been remixing songs for years and years and years, but they seem to be exploding lately more than ever. I have heard some of the best ones in the past few months alone. Two of my favorites come from Justice and The Teenagers.

I have heard Justice being called "the new Daft Punk" a couple of times, and I'm going to have to agree with everyone here. I first heard their remix of Simian's We Are Your Friends at parties not too long ago (even though it's nearly four years old), and it's one of the most catchy songs I've heard in a while. Their full length album - † - was just released and is 48 minutes of pure energy. You can cancel your gym membership if you get your hands on a copy of this thing. You won't be able to sit still, promise. Here is their video for D.A.N.C.E., which Heron posted on House of Naked and is being passed around like wild fire.

I really started writing this entry to talk about The Teenagers, though. They are three French guys who are in London right now, and their music falls into the dreamy, drugged out lo-fi slide pop genre (I made that up but if you listen to it you'll know what I mean). Guardian Unlimited wrote a fantastic piece on them, explained better than I ever could.


But what I'm really in love with is The Teenagers' remixes. One of my favorite songs for the past few months is their remix of Au Revoir Simone's Fallen Snow (fourth track on the MySpace player). I didn't realize this until recently, but if you listen to the original, it's completely different. It was then that I realized how brilliant these three guys are. While their own music sounds a little like the soundtrack to a sleepy Terry Richardson shoot (which is also fantastic and you should listen to that as well), it's their remixes that has me falling in love with them more and more with each listen.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...