04 August 2008

Taschen maps calendar

Not sure why I've never written about this before, as it's one of my favorite things in my bedroom.

Taschen maps calendar

I got this ancient maps calendar at my favorite bookstore, Spoonbill & Sugartown. It's a small book shop that carries literature, handmade cards and postcards, artsy magazines, a huge collection of Moleskines and lots of design-related books. They definitely have a specific aesthetic and feel about them. There's a cute black cat that hangs out in there, too.

Taschen maps calendar

Taschen maps calendar

The calendar was made by Taschen, which is probably my favorite book publisher. They originated in Cologne, Germany and mostly produce art books, but sometimes creep into other themes as well. There is a store nearly across the street from where I work, and I have barely been in there... because their stuff is mostly very expensive. I have a few of their books at home, though, and I treasure them. The materials are always the best I've ever seen and felt. This calendar was no exception: the pages are thick and the colors rich. I'm delighted every month when I get to flip the page; each map includes beautiful illustrations and paragraphs about the region they highlight in English, German and French. Beautiful! I might have to go back to Taschen for next year's.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...