31 March 2010

The Ecstasy of Gold

I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly for the first time last month. There are a lot of classic movies I haven't seen, and I always fear that unless I saw them early on and had years of context to build around the story, characters, and situational references, I "just won't get it" or appreciate as much as if I saw them from the beginning (never mind that I was far from being born when that movie was released).

I mostly watched it because I felt some kind of cultural duty to do so. Well, I loved it more than I ever thought I could. And I had completely forgotten that these movies were filmed with a bunch of Italian actors ­ acting in Italian ­ and some American actors acting in English. So I was totally confused until about halfway through the movie about the fact that some of the actors' lips just weren't syncing up. I know, I know.

Here is probably the most classic scene from the entire thing, and the one that made my jaw drop the most. If you've seen it, you'll know that the part that starts at 40s is a super huge deal that builds throughout the previous couple of hours.



Tuco (the Ugly – I also had no idea that the movie title referred to 3 different people) running through the cemetery paired with Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" made me almost tear up. So good.

That's all. Please rent it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...