17 July 2011

Morvern Callar

A few months ago, Mike recommended a movie called Morvern Callar, based on my post on Drama/Mex. I finally got around to watching it last night, and he was right – excellent.



I won't give anything away, even though all of the synopses do. But I hadn't read a thing before watching it, and I like it much better that way. I was confused for a lot of the time, mostly in the "Now who is this new person/is there context I missed?" way, and also because my television set has lousy sound and the accents in the movie were quite heavy. But again, movies I could watch on mute. The movie brings out a bunch of feelings throughout, from a sense of urgency to a cold snap, carefree breeze and quiet dark.

Listening to the mix tape + cigarette

Getting the job done

Pamplona?

No, no message.

The soundtrack is great, too. The theme song seemed to be The Mamas & The Papas' This is Dedicated to the One I Love (is that what it's called?), and it closed with this awesome Aphex Twin song --



So good. Watch it alone, if you decide to give it a shot.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...