21 August 2006

the most beautiful thing.


My former professor Charlie is graciously letting me stay at his house while I am in limbo (between my former lease and my upcoming life in New York). The best part about this situation is undoubtedly his piano.

It is a Steinway grand piano from the early 1900s. It was his great aunt's, who was a performer. It has real ivory keys. real ivory! It's also made of fire maple - something the restorer discovered when he stripped away the black lacquer to fix it up. He refused to repaint it because of the gem that was underneath.

Here is the best part - the guy that restored and tuned the piano is the same guy that restored Tchaikovsky's piano hello. hi. what? perfect. I stand in greatness every time I'm in the same room.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...