27 March 2008

Color Chart: Reinventing Color

This is part 3 in a mini blog series: Smaller Versions Of What I Had Planned. I can't let all of the "to blog" ideas that I had floating around in my head disappear, even if they may be irrelevant by now. Here's a brief rundown of stuff I saw & went to that I had to go back six pages in my Flickr stream to reference.

MoMA member preview

I went to this member preview at the MoMA with my friend Diana. It was definitely a breezier one than Design and the Elastic Mind, but no less thought provoking. It was pretty self-explanatory and centered around the emotional and spiritual power of color. A really interesting part was that the exhibit was brought to us by Benjamin Moore paints.

Anyway, I was very surprised by how many well-known artists were featured. I am not sure why? Anyway, there was stuff by Rauschenberg, Ruscha, Warhol, Duchamp, Jasper Johns and Damien Hirst, among others. I was most delighted by these four:

Jan Dibbets, Colorstudy (close-ups of cars):

Jan Dibbets

Ruscha, News, Mews, Pews, Brews, Stews & Dues (screenprints using mortar & pestle-crushed ingredients like baked beans, mango chutney, tulips, caviar and axle grease):

News, Mews, Pews, Brews, Stews & Dues

John Baldessari Common Memory Colors:

Common Memory Colors

Dan Flavin Untitled (my favorite, I love love love light installations):
Untitled

This one's around until 12 May, get thee to a nunnery the MoMA!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...