16 June 2008

Calorie laws & growing pains

For any who may not know, there is a new law in NYC that requires "any eatery with over 15 locations nationwide to display calorie information on all food and beverages." There's been some controversy over it, but for the most part businesses seem to be slowly complying. I know it's going to take a while for all companies to transition into this and there will be growing pains, but check out this ridiculous image:

Dear Dunkin' Donuts. O Rly?

I took both of these pictures in Penn Station, in two different Dunkin' Donuts right next to each other. Let me caveat quickly: I'm a Dunkin' Donuts fan. I like their coffee, I like the strategy they took to bring themselves back into relevancy with people. But come on, it's not like they made a mistake and put the wrong donuts behind the wrong signs – these labels obviously had to get printed somewhere. Some of you might be thinking, "Duh, you twit, of course a chocolate glazed donut isn't 80 calories." But still, creepy. Chains are complying, but are they telling us the truth? Will there have to be auditing as a part of this law? hm.

EDIT | Thank you to all who picked this story up: Gothamist, Eater, Midtown Lunch and NY Magazine! I also have to thank my friend Meredith, who noticed the discrepancy in the first place & gave me the photo opportunity.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...